Wednesday, July 16, 2003

When Fr. Pat told me he saw a reasonable editorial in the Daily Despot, I got kind of worried about him — until he added that he was as surprised as anybody. Thanks to my neighbor, I was able to read the editorial for myself. It preserves my negative opinion of the Despot to note that the editorial comes via Tribune Media Services.

The editorial in question is by Kathleen Parker. Titled Blogs breaking logjam of journalism, the article notes how blogs similar to this (or {ptui} the Drudge Report) has broken stories such as the Trent Lott faux paux well before the main-stream media. She sees this as a good sign, though she ultimately says she still prefers the holistic experience of a newspaper (olfactory, tactile, etc).

For those who like to tack articles on the refrigerator (as Ms. Parker mentions), let me recommend the method I use to tack things on this blog. Block, copy & paste. Paste the article into a word processing document, delete any undesirable elements, then print the article. Up on the refrigerator it goes!

At any rate, I have yet to break a major news story, and it's unlikely that I will. What I seem to be doing is commenting primarily on politics & religion. My primary source is the Internet, along with a couple of savvy correspondents. Pretty much the only reason I suppose folk might stop by is because they agree with my opinion, and appreciate how I state it.

Actually, if you have a moment, send me an e-mail to let me know what you like (and dislike) about this blog-space.


The poem below this entry is related to my review of Monday, July 14 (third article down). George read this Monday evening, and I heard some pretty strong echoes of Whitman. I include it here primarily in hopes that Christopher Key, my fellow Whitmanite, will stop by & read it.

By the way, Mr. Key has posted a couple of poems on his blog, Barbaric Yawp which are pretty fun. Look for "The SU Blues" and "JOIE DE VIVRE".

No comments: