Wednesday, August 20, 2003


Postcard from the Archives

It’s interesting what happens when you receive forwarded e-mail — sometimes you can’t tell with whom it originated. When I received a forwarded message from Brother Dave regarding a proposed Wellstone World Music Day, I assumed most of the folk were known to him, and would know him.

The message seemed to have originated with Connie Beckers, aka the"Goddess of Glass", so I wrote her to find the source of the article. In looking at her website, I was very taken with many of her stained glass creations, and thought some would make good images for my postcard series.

As it turned out, Connie only knew Brother Dave through the "friends-of-friends" network, but was very flattered that I thought so much of her work, and would ask permission prior to grabbing the desired images.

One of the stained glass pieces I chose is in Ms. Beckers' living room, above her piano. When I requested the image, Connie told me how special this piece was to her, writing:
She's my logo and it's very very personal. She's willed to my granddaughter who was named for Selene, Goddess of the Moon, by her adoptive parents. I finished it a month before she was born and before I even met them so the coincidence is . . . well, not really a coincidence, I don't think . . .

So, naturally, I felt a very special poem should be linked to it.

Rather than leave this up to chance, I chose a poem from my archives. I've posted it once before, but since the section of the archives it lives in is currently unavailable, I guess it won't hurt to post it once again.

Here it is, image and all, Postcard Theology. Allow about 11 seconds down-load time for a 28.8K modem.

No comments: