Wednesday, September 10, 2003

The Interview Game

I saw this sometime last week on the Salon blogs, and thought to myself “If someone interesting offers, I think I’ll jump on board”

Well, I think Christopher Key, who posts entries at
The Barbaric Yawp certainly qualifies as interesting. Heck, he even interviews for a living! Additionally, Christopher has little knowledge of me outside this blog, and I was curious what sorts of questions he would ask.

We’re relatively close to the same age (I’m just a couple of years younger), and at least one question reflects a generational bias.

I’d be happy to interview a fellow blogger as well; just check out the guidelines at the end of this interview.
  1. What is your favorite book and why?


  2. Boy, start out with the hard-hitting questions! The guilty pleasure book I’ve returned to several times over the years is Mister God, This is Anna. I say guilty pleasure, because it has its mawkish moments. But, it’s a sentimental favorite because it was one of my father’s favorites. There are some theological reflections that come very close to my own beliefs.

       A book I read recently which I greatly enjoyed was The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. This book is fun on many levels.  First, it's a light mystery.  Second, it's an extremely well-realized alternate-future fantasy.  Third, it's very "meta" in its playful use of famous books and the characters from said books (not the least of which being the eponymous book).

  3. Who is your favorite poet?


  4. I recently played this game with works that I would take to a desert island. For some reason, Pablo Neruda always rates pretty high. Shakespeare would obviously be near the top, as would our spiritual grandfather Walt Whitman (the "Barbaric Yawp" originator).

       What do I like so much about Neruda? He is both concrete and surrealistic. Even in translation, he helps me rediscover the joy of English. I can pick up any collection of Neruda's work and find something good at random, within one or two pages.

       Oh, yeah.  That desert island? I ultimately decided I would need a library boat to keep myself supplied with all my favorites. 

  5. What is your favorite wine?


  6. I never drink...wine.
    But seriously folks, outside of communion wine, I've not had any for over 20 years. My memory is I preferred dry red wines. Afraid I don't remember any names.

  7. If you were an odor, what would it be?


  8. This morning, it would have been cinnamon. Added cinnamon to my coffee, and was a little heavy with the dash.

  9. Which member(s) of the Three Stooges would do a better job at the presidency than George Bush?


  10. The secret message of this gag is that George Bush and his cabinet are the virtual equivalent of the Three Stooges. George is Curly, ready to get into a fight over the least slight. Karl Rove is Moe, the real power behind the throne. Colin Powell is Shemp, the forgotten Stooge, or maybe he's Larry Fine, the guy who seemed almost sane compared to the others — though no more competent.
THE RULES OF THE INTERVIEW GAME:
  1. Leave me an e-mail, saying you want to be interviewed.

  2. I will respond; I'll ask you five questions.

  3. You'll update your website with my five questions, and your five answers.

  4. You'll include this explanation, and acknowledge me as the interviewer.

  5. You'll ask other people five questions when they want to be interviewed.

No comments: