Wednesday, September 17, 2003

On Vacation

I now have two pilgrimages I make each year: one, to Winfield, Kansas; the other to visit Brother Dave. I'm heading off to Winfield within two hours.

So, what happens in Winfield, KS?

The Walnut Valley Festival. This festival began in 1972 as solely a bluegrass festival; over time, it has included several varieties of acoustic music. Performers this year include Hot Club of Cowtown, John McCutcheon, Tommy Emmanuel, No Strings Attached, and a number of "cowboy" groups.

The festival takes place on the county fairgrounds, and I will be among those camping near-by. If you happen to be headed to Winfield thisyear, look for the Granola Camp in Pecan Grove. We'll be just a few yards away from the legendary "Stage 5" (where amatuers play at a round-the-clock open mike). Ask for James. Or the guy who likes to sing at 8 am.

I'll be taking a scratch pad along, and hope to write a few travelogue poems while there. Be assured they'll be shared with you when I return.

No comments: