Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Today's Holy Reading

Reading.  Luke 1: 26-38

Meditation.
Most of us don't get angels;
most of us don't get burning bushes
or voices on the mountain.
We don't even get sacred cd roms
plotting our life's path.
Your servant strives to listen.
I lie a-bed in the early morning watches
and await your voice.
But you are silent.
Oh, sure, I feel the burning in my heart —
sometimes I dream I'm on the Emmaus road.
I lie a-bed,
cradle myself in you,
but you are silent.
All I hear is the house breathing.
Well, I also recall the echo of my own voice as I read your word.
Then I recall how others have responded to that voice.
The voice I believe you gave me.
They say my voice leads to prayer.
But you are silent.

Prayer.
Holy Mother,
cradle me in your arms.
Teach me a mother's
unconditional love,
then teach me how to share it.
Son of Man
with the Holy Heart,
teach me true compassion.
High Holy One,
teach me
the secret voice of thunder.

Contemplation.
What angels have spoken to you without your hearing them as angels? How do you discern the voice of God?

No comments: