Thursday, September 09, 2004

My Desk, Revisited

I know I posted a picture of my desk yesterday, but I decided you needed a broader view of my workspace:

More recent pic of desk
In this picture, you see the corner where I work. A couple of poems have referenced the paintings you see: on the left, Skull 479 (I think) by R. Michael Rahill; on the right, the boy Jesus (artist unknown). You can see the mostly bare bulletin board - the only item on it is a name badge from my five-year highschool reunion. You also see the stylish wind-up clock I picked up at a neighborhood garage sale. The stack of papers on the left is topped by my Moleskine Journal ™ and a QPB 2004 calendar (no other books of interest over there). You also see my Love's travel coffee cup, which normally contains green tea. With a magnifying glass, you might be able to detect my copy of the Book of Psalms (KJV), which is in pamplet form and represents one of the first books I possessed. Lamp. Pens. Elmer's Glue. Diskettes. Piles of paper. Stuff and stuff.

Oh yeah, you'll see a better version of the image displayed on the computer screen later this evening or sometime tomorrow.

A word about that skull: Mike Rahill was a high school friend, and he painted this during our junior year (if memory serves). I was so impressed with it, that I insisted on buying it from him. It has travelled with me from high school to the present. It is modelled on the earliest humanoid skull discovered at that time (mid-70s), a woman's skull.

I believe the painting of the boy Jesus originally belonged to my step-mother Wanda, but was willingly passed on to me early on. It has amazingly survived from my pre-teens to this morning.

Fair warning: cat picture tomorrow.

No comments: