Sunday, February 13, 2005

Rooting for the Underdog

In a recent entry, Michael Wells (defender of poetry in the modern world) mentions that it is soon-to-be baseball season. He notes that this will be welcome to news to all but Cubs fans.

Now, you don't have to be around me for very long to realise that I'm not much of a sports fan. I didn't know who played in the Superbowl, nor did I care. Football was the True Religion at my high school and my college, and I've drawn a considerable amount of energy from being anti-football.

I've watched a few baseball games on the tube, and with the exception of the Yankees in the 70s, I have not been impressed. OK City does have a triple-A team, the Redhawks, which I believe is a farm team for the Texas Rangers. I have attended one Redhawks game. Which I found to be about as exciting as watching paint dry.

However, I do start every baseball season with the intent of following the Cubs. Just for the sheer perversity of it. I often enjoy rooting for the underdog, and the Cubbies are pretty much the definition thereof.

Well, I have good intentions, but I never make it past the first couple of Games. Then I get distracted by less important things.

Like, say, poetry and religion. Or life. You know, stuff like that there.

No comments: