Tuesday, April 11, 2006

My Weekend

BumblebeeI spent some time in Will Rogers' Park this past Saturday. Will Rogers' is just an eighth of a mile or less from my house. This picture of a bumblebee is just one of the many shots I caught.

I suppose it's appropriate, because I kept myself pretty busy.

To begin with, I had a cup of espresso. Brewed in my very own stove-top espresso pot - a gift received from Sarah many years ago. About 9:00, I went to the Cathedral to learn how to (and help) make palm crosses. People might have thought I was on drugs, because I was "speed rapping"; but the rap was only inspired by the espresso.

I left the Cathedral at 11:00, drove to a book shop in south OKC.

The shop didn't open until noon, and it was only about 11:30, so I drove around a bit. Stopped into a Dollar Tree store, and picked up a biography of Abbie Hoffman by his brother Jack (Run, Run, Run). Paid cash - one dollar bill.

The bookshop is the only place I know of that sells bootleg CDs. I bought a bootleg of the demos for Dylan's Blood on the Tracks. I'm pleased to say the sound quality is mostly better than I expected.

The shop also sells new and used books. In observance of poetry month I picked up Twenty Love Songs by Pablo Neruda (the middling Merwin translation). Also got Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men and Zen and the Beat Way by Alan Watts. Wrote a check for that purchase.

Went home and had a late lunch. Then drove to the north side of the city, to go to a garage sale. I was either at the wrong place, or they had closed down.

Drove out to the park and took a little over 20 photographs.

Went home, downloaded the pictures on my computer. Spent some time in the RLP chatroom.

Then I went to the OK Museum of Art movie theater to see Neil Young: Heart of Gold. Which I highly recommend, by the way. I was only yawning because the day was finally catching up with me.

Ran into a couple from church at the movie, and they invited me to join them. Another couple was also with them. The foursome invited me to join them for dinner, which I did.

We went to a restaurant called Cheever's, which is a converted floral shop. The food is excellent, with generous portions and reasonable prices. The service was slow, but I assume it was in the "European style" of many up-scale restaurants.

By the time we finished dinner, it was 10:00 and I was running on my last drop of adrenaline. Went home. Became one with the bed.

No comments: