Thursday, May 04, 2006

Why Jonah?

A correspondent, a fellow member of the RevGal web ring and fellow copyeditor of the forthcoming Ordinary Time book, asks: "Why Jonah?"

Why did I choose Jonah as a nom de blog? Mostly on a whim. That's the short answer.

Here's the longer answer.

In high school, I was "jac", which are also my initials. In college, my poetic alter-ego was Jason. I chose Jason because he was a seeker. I perceived the Golden Fleece as an aspect of the divine (may've picked this up from Joseph Campbell), and this fit where I was at during that time.

One day, a little over three years ago, I was leaving a comment on a friend's blog. I started to type "Jason" in the name slot, but that didn't seem to fit. Not that I've "found what I'm looking for", but because I don't feel quite as spiritually restless.

I was in a puckish mood, so I typed "Jeremiah". Maybe I was feeling prophetic. Maybe I was feeling "assaulted" or "ravished" by God. Honestly don't remember.

The Salon system stores a cookie on the user's computer which remembers the name you use. So I was Jeremiah for a while, until the next time I cleared out the cookies.

I often speak of being in the "belly of the beast", meaning American consumer culture. It's also a term I use when I am going to be in large crowded situations (e.g., the state fair). Jonah spent time in the belly of leviathan, so the connection seemed obvious.

So, I typed "Jonah".

Jonah in the Whale

Shortly after that, Real Live Preacher had moved to his new server and offered the opportunity to register as part of his community, which is also expressed in the chat room. "Jonah" still felt right, so that's what I typed when I registered.

The name was beginning to stick. All because I felt like I was in the belly of the beast one day.

The thing is, as I have mentioned a couple of times before, Jonah's time in the big fish wasn't necessarily negative. Sure, Jonah's response wasn't positive – he compares it to dying. But if the great fish hadn't swallowed him, he would have drowned. One might argue that Jonah's time in leviathan was a protected time, preparing him for his ministry – prophesying to the people of Nineveh.

It occurs to me that the next logical question is whether the name still fits, given my revised interpretation of Jonah's three-day sojourn in the whale. I don't think I need to change my blog identity – most people still think of the time in the whale hotel as a negative event. But the question does deserve some attention.

In what ways am I like the Biblical prophet, and in what ways do I differ? Let's compare.

To begin with, I'm no prophet. Well, probably not. I'm not shy about sharing my opinion, goodness knows. I'm often quite discerning about hearing what a person is really saying, or what the mood of a group may be. These may be gifts, as the Apostle Paul defines gifts, but they are not necessarily associated with the gift of prophesy.

One gets the impression that Jonah was a bit of a kvetcher. He complains about being sent to Nineveh – in fact, he deserts. He complains about being in the whale. He complains about the Lord sparing the Ninevites after they've heeded his prophecy. Only a consummate kvetcher could complain about having a successful preaching mission.

Now, I'm not exactly Mr. Happy Go Lucky. It's possible, if you caught me during a bad week, that you'd think I was a chronic complainer as well. On the other hand, I do strive to find the best in people. While I acknowledge that people are as capable of great evil as they are of great good, I try to emphasize the good.

I have inklings that God is leading me in a certain direction, and I'm doing my best to test those inklings. Included in this testing is service on a number of church boards and committees. I have complained about frustrations connected with this service, but I haven't run away. Nor have I complained when the work is successfully completed. You're not likely to find me sulking under any tamarisk trees.

Just yesterday afternoon, I was told I was compassionate. I don't think Jonah felt compassion for the Ninevites. He was more interested in seeing them receive the punishment he felt they deserved. We might say Jonah was judgmental, though we have little evidence outside of his eponymous book.

I recognize that I can be judgmental. I don't suppose I am more or less judgmental than the next person. It's still a part of my personality I don't like, and on the average day I'd rather deny it.

So: how much am I like Jonah? I report, you decide.

No comments: