Thursday, June 01, 2006

Circles

Some time a little over a month ago, I received an e-mail invitation to attend a retirement party. The name of the retiree was unfamiliar to me, but that's not unusual; I'm infamously poor at remembering names. As I mentioned to a church friend last Sunday, if I don't repeat the name at least once a week, it gets lost. In this instance, I could not recall the face that belonged to Carol K–.

There were a number of addresses in the e-mail's header, many of which belonged to names I associate with Oklahoma City's poetry community. I'm at the far periphery of this community, but consider it to be filled with kindred spirits. I took it for granted I would recognize the honoree once I saw her. I also took it for granted that I would see at least one or two other familiar faces.

The retirement reception was Tuesday. It was held at a local church; people had been asked to arrive no later than 6:15. The church is close to where I work, so I would have some time to kill. Happily, there is a cafeteria across the street from the church, and I had dinner prior to the reception.

I ambled the block from the cafeteria to the church. The reception was in the meeting hall, which is on the southwest side of the church building. I walked in and looked around, hoping to see at least one familiar face.

For a moment, I feared I was in the wrong place. I almost asked. Then I saw Frank. Frank is a mentor of the Norman Poetry community. He founded an organization called Independent Artists of Oklahoma (IAO), which still exists today. I recall the original as being relatively avant-garde ; the current incarnation is slightly more mainstream.

I was on the way to say hello to Frank when Sandy came up to me, and started sharing her affection for Carol. It turned out Sandy remembered me from days when I was more actively involved with the poetry scene. We had a lovely chat, which included Sandy complimenting my voice. She has experience in radio and voice-overs, and naturally has an ear for such things. So we compared notes on our radio experience.

I visited with Frank for a while. I visited with his companion, Sarah, for several minutes. A bit after 6:15, Carol K– came in.

I recognized her immediately. We have more communities in common than just poetry.

I probably first met her through her church, which is Unitarian. I have sung at that church a few times, as half of a folk duo. In many ways I consider myself Unitarian by adoption.

I've also seen her at several poetry events. I think she's heard me read at least once.

I've also seen her at folk music events, such as the annual Woody Guthrie Festival in Okemah (coming July 13-15 this year).

Carol K– and I have at least three circles that intersect. It turned out Carol was retiring from teaching. There was opportunity for folk to share favored memories of Carol — so she got a well-rounded Tom Sawyer experience — and many of those memories had to do with how her teaching had touched their lives or the lives of their children. Her active support of poetry led people to refer to her as both doyen and grand dam.
Paper Butterfly
Pictured: Butterfly decoration on digitally-generated background

Hearing stories of how one person has touched so many lives is inspirational. It was clear, from the affection of the group, that Carol didn't help people so they would say nice things about her when she was gone, or for ego strokes, but because that's who she is. She is clearly a person who knows that helping others is part of what it means to be human.

I came to the reception in hopes of widening my social circle. One reason I hope to widen my social circle is to counteract an undertone of loneliness I'm currently experiencing. Another reason is the suspicion that I'm more likely to meet that special someone if I get out more often.

These are, admittedly, rather selfish reasons. But I was rewarded with more than I sought. I saw how once person, who gave of her time and talents simply because it was the right thing to do, touched lives in every circle she was a part of.

Carol K– has clearly been a light to the people she's met. I have no doubt she will continue to teach through example, and continue to be a light.

Discovering the intersection of our circles shed light in my world.

No comments: