Friday, July 07, 2006

Cat Friday

DJ on her throne
The U.S. may have declared its independence on July 4th, but I became subject to her ladyship on that date. That is to say, we adopted each other on July 4.

Here, her royal catness, Dame Julian, is seen in action on her throne.

DJ objects to closed doors. I have no doubt closed doors are a form of heresy in feline theology. She is ever vigilant to find ways beyond most closed doors. With the striking exception of the door to the great outdoors. Having been an indoor cat from the time of adoption, she appears to be slightly overwhelmed by the large space on the other side of that door.

In any event, I find I must be vigilant in order to keep her out of places I don't want her. Last night, I was not sufficiently vigilant. Well, I was tired - but that's no excuse. Her ladyship was closed up in my study all night.

I did hear a "meow" and a crash within an hour after I went to sleep, but I thought it was coming from the living room. But when I went into the study to turn on my computer, a cat-sized streak of grey fur sped past my left leg.

I keep the study closed because I store "stuff" I don't want mangled in there. I've been worried about her chewing on the wiring - when she was a kitten, she would chew on anything. I worried about her knocking things over.

Perhaps I worry too much. Which will not be a news flash to those who know me well.

The study was remarkably undisturbed this morning. The keyboard was knocked out of alignment, but that was it. Though I know she can see much better than I in the dark, I suspect there was much she wasn't aware of because it wasn't sparkling. Or moving. Or appearing to be moving, by sparkling.

One thing's for sure. I'm not leaving the study door open to test my theory.

As I say, the fourth was DJ's adoption day. You may leave your belated well-wishes in the comments. I'll be proud to relay them.

No comments: