Friday, July 28, 2006

Cat Friday

Continuing the "cool cat" gag from last Friday, this historic image is from my 35mm archives. The "cool cats" in question are your lowly correspondent and the esteemed Dr Omed. I am the thin white dude; Dr. Omed is the mesomorph.

The year is 198*mumble*. We are in Denver, CO, both for the first time. We are donning our uniforms to serve in a friend's wedding. Julian and Jannette, both high school pals.

OK. Dr. Omed wasn't Dr. Omed yet. I'm not sure whether he had even come up with the name Dromedary Syndicate yet (cognizati will note the good doctor's name is hidden in that title). I wasn't Jonah yet. If anything, I was Jason. Or jac. Or, more often than not, my birth name.

We both fell in love with Denver. The architecture is astounding (compared to OKC, anyway). The mountains are young and tall (Oklahoma's mountains have shrunk with age). I don't remember who was driving, but we had to stop every so often to take pictures of the unique buildings. Like "Just Another Bar", on the edge of the city.

Dr. Omed did something about his affection for Denver. He moved there. He got a job as a baker. He flopped with the "J Unit" off & on. Seems like he was there a little over a decade. I stayed in Norman, OK, focusing on my (mind-altering) chemical studies. We wrote each other now & again, and Dr. Omed has an impressive collection of my scribblings.

He is blessed. He can read my handwriting. On good days, I can read his.

Anyway, it's possible some seeds were planted during that visit which helped form the current Dr. O. I'm sorry we're so hard to see because of the backlight. But these figures you are viewing are ghosts, after all.

No comments: