Friday, August 11, 2006

Fruitful Friday Five

The assignment, per Reverend Mother, is to select five of the "fruits of the spirit" delineated in Galations 5:22-23, and "go wherever the Spirit leads you."
  • Love
    I heard a story on Morning Edition today, from the Story Corps project. A granddaughter interviewed her grandmother, Nora Percival. Ms. Percival told the story of her happy marriage; her husband died when she was 24 (so I presume it was early in their marriage). She learned a few weeks later she was pregnant, but chose to keep the child. A little over 60 years later, Ms. Percival wrote a book based on "hundreds of letters" between her and her late husband.
       The granddaughter concluded the interview by asking her grandmother if she had any wishes for the granddaughter. Ms. Percival replied that she hoped the granddaughter would find a love like she had.
       Being the sentimental old soul I am, I teared up. The story was a powerful witness.

  • Joy
    Billy Sunday once referred to the Episcopal Church as a sleeping giant. Others have called it "the frozen chosen." This latter appellation conveys the sense that people in the Episcopal Church do not exhibit joy.
       I think a lot depends on individual communities. The mission church I used to attend did seem to lack joy; I think it was because they were so worried about finances. The church I currently attend seems to have a great deal of positive energy, which seems to me an expression of joy. People are involved, and choose to come to church more than once a week.
       Another sign of joy in this particular community is the fact that people feel free to laugh and applaud during the service. There is still the liturgical decorum one expects in an Episcopal Church (even more so in the Cathedral), but people don't seem constricted by that decorum.

  • Generosity
    I experienced outrageous generosity at my former church. Padre had just died, and my former wife and I lacked the means to drive to Texas. Our car was unreliable, and we didn't really have money for gas or a motel. The church had a special collection (without my prior knowledge) which helped cover the gas expense and motel. We may not have been able to go without this assistance.

  • Patience
    People perceive me as being patient. I perceive myself as relatively impatient. If I don't see positive results for a project, I get discouraged and drop it. Sometimes I try again. Other times, I chose not to - supposing to do so would define insanity, "Doing the same thing and expecting different results".
       I suppose some perceive me as patient because I am willing to listen. If a child starts talking to me, I give that child my undivided attention. I strive to give everyone I met the same level of attention. I strive to believe people are sincere, until I have strong evidence otherwise. I strive to let my own yes mean "yes", and my no to mean "no", as the Gospel says.

  • Self-control
    This is a gift I currently long for. There are many areas where I seem to lack self-control. No need to detail them here; I know what they are.

No comments: