Friday, August 04, 2006

Musical Friday Five

An edited version of the questions posed by NotShyChiRev. Interesting how these questions follow on the heels of Meg's musical quiz (see below).
  1. Describe the last play or musical you saw. What was your opinion of it?
    Pretty sure it was a local production of A Chorus Line with my former supervisor. I enjoyed it - much better than the movie version. This production led me to believe the choreographer was based on Bob Fosse.
    1500 CORRECTION: The last musical I saw was with Elsie, just 2-3 years ago. I forget the name, but it had to do with a beauty pagent, and the women were played by men in drag.

  2. All time favorite play? Musical?
    Padre's favorite musical was Man of La Mancha. I have the broadway cast recording, and listen to it occasionally. I only have two musicals on video: Newsies and Chicago. I have several soundtrack CDs, and trying to pick a favorite too challenging for this hour.

  3. What non-musical movie do you think should next get the musical treatment?
    "Snakes on a Plane" (couldn't resissssssst)

  4. Favorite song from a musical? Why?
    My choices are both sentimental and predictable: "Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha; "Maria" from West Side Story; "Send in the Clowns" from A Little Night Music (though it must be the Judy Collins version).

  5. What great pop/rock singer/composer or super-group should be the next to be featured in a revue, and what might the story-line be for such a show?
    The songs of U2 arranged to tell a modern version of Job.
Bonus question for singer/actors. Favorite part you’ve ever played/sung.
Most of my acting was done in high school. The only musical I was involved with was in Jr High. There wasn't a band, and a tape the music was going to be played through the sound system. There was a technical glitch, and it was decided this plan wouldn't work. So we spoke the songs. I probably could have sung my part a capella, but probably was the only one there who could have.
Couple of high school roles stick in memory - the character who gets murdered in Zoo Story and the German in Ayn Rand's Night of January 16th.

No comments: