Friday, October 20, 2006

New to the Blogroll

I recently added a new blog to that list of regular reads you see there at the left. I think this addition deserves to be highlighted.

Beauty Dish was once part of the Salon blog community, but defected earlier this year because of frustrations with the "LoserLand" software. The author, Birdie Jaworksi, is struggling to make a living as an "Avon lady" and free-lance writer.

Her blog includes multi-part adventures in Avon marketing and sales (including the current series on pursuing clients in Area 51); reports on her sons; and other slices of life. She has a gift for the particular that I envy. Her writing appeals to all the senses, especially the heart.

Her blog also includes occasional reviews of Avon products, including a recent investigation into which (if any) Avon mascara was best for a certain type of show dog.

I've thought for a long time that I should add Birdie to the blogroll. Hers is definitely a blog I read on a regular basis, and I frequently check whether it has been up-dated.

Three recent events finally convinced me that I had waited too long:
  1. She recently won a contest for this autobiographical essay. She's going to Bermuda for a week. After you've read the memoir, I think you'll agree she deserves all that and a bag of chips.
  2. This entry, titled "The Pennies You Hold You Can't See." It took my breath away. I shook my head in amazement at how effortless it seemed to be. Without question, I think this is one of the most profoundly spiritual essays I've read in a long time – and it never mentions G–d (or any other deity).
  3. A recent review of Avon Instant Manicure mentioned that the product seemed to strengthen the existing nails. Being a person who plays a steel-string dreadnaught guitar, and who prefers playing with fingernails rather than any type of pick, the nails of my right hand get a pretty good work-out. They are constantly chipping and breaking. The way I play, the strings seem to act like multiple high-grain emery boards.
       Several years ago, I attended a finger-style guitar workshop with Ed Gerhard, and he mentioned that he regularly gets manicures (for his right hand only), sometimes using applied nails, and has used products such as "Tough As Nails." In fact, I've been using "Tough As Nails" (and a similar Avon product) for a couple of years now. The point being, of course, that my masculinity is not threatened by the use of nail-care products.
       So, I e-mailed Birdie for ordering information. See, if I order from her, she earns some money; it's an easy way for me to support what I perceive to be a worthy cause. She responded by saying she would send free samples. I felt that was an extremely generous offer, and was very touched by it (especially when you consider the Instant Manicure Kit is relatively inexpensive).
       Later that same day, she sent the following e-mail:
    I've been reading through your archive this morning. You have such a gentle presence. The language you choose has a deep integrity. I'm going to add you to my list of friends, if that's OK with you.
    "Gentle presence"! "Deep integrity"! Clearly, this is a woman of discerning tastes.
What are you waiting for? Go visit her now. Say "Hello," and tell her Jonah sent you.

No comments: