Friday, November 10, 2006

The Gig

My friend Ben and I had our premier performance at the Red Cup last night. We both got there early (contrary to the anxiety dream I reported yesterday). Our mistakes were relatively minor, and I suspect the audience did not notice most of them.

The Red Cup pays performers in chits, rather than money. In other words, we each received a coupon good for $5, redeemable at the Red Cup. I know where I'm going for lunch next Sunday!

There's also a tip jar for the performers. Our friends were very generous (I'm pretty sure they were the only ones who threw money in the jar). My half of the take could buy at least one tank of gas. So, that's nice.

As I mentioned yesterday, our closing number was "A Day in the Life" matched with "Nights in White Satin". A couple of people were impressed we even tried "Day," and said we did well with it.

We had rehearsed some patter ahead of time. We rehearse most weeks in Ben's bedroom; Ben talks to the wall, and I talk to his master bathroom. We both ended up saying different things, and talking more, than we had in rehearsal.

I suppose this is symptomatic of my introversion. Prior to performance, I could barely get out ten words when visiting with Mary. Once I was behind the mike, and had a larger audience, I was practically chatty cathy.

Performance over, sitting back down with my friends, I was Gary Cooper's shy younger brother.

The crowd responded well, even folk who didn't know us. We both enjoyed ourselves, which is pretty important.

Now, back to Ben's bedroom to work on a second set.

No comments: