Wednesday, July 11, 2007

At the Movies

A correspondent recently asked what movies I've seen lately, and which ones I would recommend. With that in mind, I created the following table.

Dark HabitsPedro AlmodovarNo 
Monster HouseGil KenanRent
The DescentNeil MarshallNo
3 WomenRobert AltmanNFAL
Bad EducationPedro Almodovar OK
United 93Paul GreengrassRent
Orphic Trilogy
  • Blood of a Poet
  • Orpheus
  • Testament of Orpheus
Jean CocteauNFAL
Into the WoodsStephen Sondheim Rent
Pan’s LabyrinthGuillermo del ToroBuy

This table lists nine movies, and one trilogy, that I have recently watched. They are, more or less, in inverse order of when I watched them. All were seen via Netflix, with the exception of Pan's Labyrinth, which I originally saw in the theater.

The rating system is fairly simple: No (don't bother), OK (neither great nor aweful), NFAL - "Not for all tastes" (I enjoyed it, but recognize the movie is not exactly commercial), Rent (definitely worth renting), and Buy (so good, you'll probably want the movie in your permanent library).

I hope to flesh out the reasons for my ratings over the next few weeks, as time permits.

I will say, by way of introduction, that watching Cocteau's Orpheus Trilogy gave me a new appreciation of the work of David Lynch, and may have prepared me for non-linear (or practically non-existent) narrative, as found in Altman's 3 Women.

No comments: