Wednesday, June 25, 2003

My main source of information is National Public Radio. Although it is far from unbiased, it is still superior to most of the commercial outlets (take that Fox News). So, I was glad to hear a report on the MoveOn.org primary at about 20 minutes into the second hour. Here's a link to today's Morning Edition. If you read my entry after Wednesday, June 25, be sure to search for that date; the story itself is about 3/4 down the page.

The fact that both CNN and NPR should take the story seriously is very encouraging. My hope is that the Democratic Party will pay special attention to the top three candidates – Dean, Gephart, and Kucinich. Senators Dean and Kucinich have been fairly consistent voices in opposition to the pre-emptive strike against Iraq. All three, to varying degrees, support a more liberal agenda than Joe Lieberman; and all three are definitely more liberal than the current prez.

I have no great love for Dick Gephart, but I would vote for him without having to hold my nose too vigorously. My greatest fear is that Lieberman will win the nomination. Since Lieberman has been pretty much "Bush Lite," I suspect such a campaign will insure a Bush win in 2004. In my book, Lieberman is that mythic "yellow dog" for whom I would vote simply in hopes of having someone other than Busch (ptui) in office.

No comments: