Friday, November 19, 2004

Proptor Chorum

I suppose when I say Gen. Powell lost his credibility after the U.N. fiasco, I may be preaching to the choir. I suppose saying things look very bleak in Iraq is preaching to the choir.

I suppose challenging all those Red folk to question the reasons for attacking Iraq is so much wasted breath. Few stop by this space in the blog hinterlands, after all.

What's so bad about preaching to the choir? Sometimes, the choir needs encouragement.

And, who knows? Maybe someone outside the choir will hear, or rather truly listen, mark your words and seriously consider them.

If I say the so-called justifications for entering this war do not rise to the level required for a Pre-emptive strike, few would disagree. However, I would go further, and quote Brother Dave:
The invasion of Iraq is a PREVENTIVE war not the PREEMPTIVE war the regime has taught everyone to say. Under existing international law and the UN Charter, PREVENTIVE war (I think you might do something bad some day so I'll whack you now) is illegal. Therefore, it is very plausible to argue that every act flowing from that invasion is also illegal.
Hear that? "Every act." Not just the prison abuse, not just shooting an unarmed prisoner in the head, not just the things that the grunts get blamed for. No, this goes all the way up the chain of the command.

Every act is illegal. Every act, every death, is the responsibility of those who ordered the initial attack. Every act, an impeachable office.

I will not say innocent blood is on the hands of each person who placed a check in the Republican column. America was sold a bill of goods. Many people bought it, sincerely believing the goods were quality merchandise. I've done the same, under different circumstances. We're human. We make mistakes.

The choir saw the mistake early on. The choir must befriend the congregation and show them the facts. Challenge them to study both sides: not just the Drudge Report, but Talking Points Memo as well. If they're truly hardy and open minded souls, send ’em to Buzz Flash

I'll preach to the choir. But, I will sing my sermon. My high tenor voice carries over the din of the madding crowd. I have no control over who hears my song, or how they interpret it. I can only pray that the spirit of my song will touch their heart, and teach it to walk in paths of beauty.
This is a day of peace.
This is a day of peace.
This is a day the Lord has made.
This is a day of peace.

No comments: