Tuesday, August 23, 2005

To Clarify

Just in case it's necessary, I hereby disassociate myself from all statements made by Pat Robertson — past, present, and future. I hesitate to speak on behalf of the godhead (lest I become like unto my enemy), but I cannot recall a single instance of Jesus calling for the assassination of anyone. Sure, he called people broods of vipers and whitewashed tombs, but he never suggested that they be murdered.

While I'm at it, I also disassociate myself from any pronouncements made by Jerry Falwell. There are probably others I should include in this list. Billy Graham's son comes immediately to mind. But Robertson and Falwell are probably the most notorious example of why many in America have a poor opinion of Christians.

Last night I watched the first part of a program about Ben Franklin on PBS. He was quoted as saying that, when we come before thejudgmentt seat, we will not be judged by what we said or what we believed. We will be judged, he said, by how much we helped our fellow humans.

This seems to me sound Christian teaching. I wonder if Mr. Robertson or Mr. Falwell have ever heard it.

No comments: