Monday, January 30, 2006

Rain

I got up around 8 Saturday morning. The sky was grey. It had not been so dark at this hour in some time.

I looked out through the front window. The grass looked damp. The front drive was moist. It must have rained, at least briefly, earlier that morning.

I ate my humble breakfast of mixed cereals. Went to my study, which the cat assumes is my cave, and officially started the day. Balanced the check book. Checked my e-mail. Visited my favorite web-logs. E-filed
my taxes.

By the time all this was done, it was 10:00. Off to run my errands for the day. Went to the library. Traded one trio of DVDs for a different trio. Went to have the car's oil changed (a bit overdue). Went to the bookstore.

I spent some time in the bookstore. I heard a familiar noise on the roof. River rumbling. Applause. No. Looked out the large windows at the front of the store - rain. Heavy rain, coming down in large wet drops. I'm surprised we in the store did not start cheering.

We have not seen a significant amount of rain since November of last year.

The little torrent lasted for a few minutes, then quieted down. About
ten minutes later, there was another brief torrent.

It was calm by the time I was done in the bookstore. The rain was so light, I could practically walk between the drops on the way to the car.

It was still by the time I got home. Blue sky by 4:00 Saturday afternoon.

A friend at church told me there hadn't been any rain in the Windsor Hills area. That's the area of town I lived during my teenage years. It's just a couple of miles west from where I live today. And they had no rain.

I give thanks for the rain I saw Saturday. I wish it could have been shared over a broader area. I hope more of the state gets to see a steady rain very soon.

No comments: