Friday, September 01, 2006

Life in the Fast Lane

A "Friday Five," courtesy Reverend Mother, and with prayers to Will Smama.
  1. Driving: an enjoyable way to clear the mind? a means to an end? a chance to be quiet with one's thoughts? a necessary evil? the downfall of our planet and its fossil fuels? Discuss.
    Mostly, a means to an end, a necessary evil, and the downfall of syphilization (Edward Abbey's term). I very rarely drive just to clear my mind. The last time I did was over a year ago; I took old Route 66 as far east as I could, to an old State Park.

  2. Do you drive the speed limit? A little faster? Slower? Have you ever gotten a ticket?
    I generally drive no more than five miles over the speed limit on the highway. I drive exactly the speed limit in town.
       I did get a speeding ticket once, when I was still working part-time as a DJ in Norman. I think I may have been going about 5 mph over, in town. My insurance company forgave me for this infraction just last year.
       I did experience something highly unusual yesterday evening — a Firebird driving under the speed limit. The car was going 55 in a 60 mph zone.

  3. Do you take public transportation? When? What's your opinion of the experience?
    Oklahoma City is just now getting a decent public transportation system. To the best of my knowledge, however, the schedules are still less than ideal.
       I did use public transporation in Seattle, WA, and Denver, CO. Both experiences were very positive.

  4. Complete this sentence: _____________ has the worst drivers I've ever experienced.
    I haven't driven many places other than OKC. Most folk from northern American cities agree that we Okies are awful drivers in the winter (limited experience with snow & ice).

  5. How does your personal commute rate?
    Fifteen to twenty minutes each way.
Bonus for the brutally honest: It has been said, and the MythBusters have confirmed, that cell phones can impede driving ability almost as much as drinking. Do you talk on a cell phone while driving?
I just recently got a TrakPhone, after being sans cell phone for 3-4 years. The last time I used it, I pulled over & stopped.
   When I previously had a cell phone, I may have talked on it while driving once or twice. It didn't get a lot of use in general, which is why I let the contract expire.

No comments: