Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Hypochondria

My hypochondria is getting a work-out today.

For example: Do you think I should be worried about my left arm being kind of tingly?

Or: What about this pain and swelling on the left side of my chest, just above my heart?

Maybe it started last Wednesday night. I went to a dinner at church immediately after work, got home around 7:30. Drank some Desert Sage Tea. Noticed my back was a little tight, but didn't think anything of it.

By the time I went to bed, my back hurt so badly, I could barely sleep.

When I woke up last Thursday morning, I was in such pain I could barely walk. Honest! It took five minutes to walk from the bedroom to the bathroom – normally a 30 second stroll.

I called in sick, which I very rarely do.

Thanks to a Thermapak ® and some over-the-counter muscle relaxant (primary ingredient: benedril), I was ambulatory on Friday and could return to work.

My back has loosened up considerably since then, though I'm aware of a low-level ache.

Now, regarding my heart, you should know I have a condition called paroxymal ventricle tachycardia &nash; meaning, one of the valves in my heart "sticks". Prior to diagnosis and meds, my heart literally skipped a beat. Maybe why I'm especially sensitive to waltzes and 3/4 time signatures.

This condition was diagnosed almost ten years ago, and a calcium-channel blocker was prescribed. I've been on that calcium-channel blocker ever since, and have not had significant heart problems since.

My script ran out on Monday. The story of why it took almost a week (I requested a refill last Wed) is almost too frustrating to relate. But I noticed the chest pain Monday evening.

Still hurt Tuesday morning. I noticed the swelling in the shower. Let's just say my bosom is lop-sided. The right side is flat; the other isn't.

Panic theory: the bad valve is sticking really badly, blood is backing up, and my heart is going to explode any moment.

Or, I've got that disease Dylan almost died of a few years ago – fluid build-up around the heart.

Calm theory: somehow, without realizing it, I compensated for the back ache and strained some muscles on that side of the chest.

You see, I'm well aware of my tendency to jump to the worst scenario when my health is involved. But I wait a few days – at least a week – before I call my doctor.

Oh yeah. That left-arm tingling thing? Pretty sure it's from a muscle group in my left shoulder.

And the good news is that I can (and will) get the refill of my calcium channel blocker on the way home. So, if the pain and swelling is somehow related to my heart, and the medication will help resolve it, I should be OK within a day or two.

Til then, my hypochondria is having a field day.

No comments: