Friday, June 29, 2007

Friday Five: Gifts and Talents

This week's theme suggested by Sally.
  1. Personality tests; love them or hate them?
    I like them. Many on-line personality tests, such as "What poet are you", are pleasant pass-times, but reveal little of one's personality.
       I find the Jungian personality types helpful (introverted, judging, etc), and have taken various versions of the Meyers-Briggs. For it's worth, though, I can never remember all four of the letters.

  2. Would you describe yourself as practical, creative, intellectual or a mixture?
    I would say creative and intellectual. Practical — not so much. Imagine if I found practical applications for my creative and intellectual abilities/talents! Imagine if I could be even a little organized in the use of these abilities! Might be in a different place. Speaking of which...

  3. It is said that everyone has their 15 minutes of fame; have you had your yet? If so what was it, if not dream away what would you like it to be?
    I've been on local TV four times, and was a radio DJ for about five years.
       The first two times I was on local TV was as a child, on the Foreman Scotty Show (a kids' program).
        The next two times were on the news, in my guise as a musician. The first was a performance at the wedding of two of the survivors of the Edmond Post Office massacre. The other was as a musician at a peace march.
       I also directed a cable-access program, and appeared on it at least once.
       My radio work was on a local NPR-affiliate. I hosted and produced "Ambient Morning Music," which aired Saturday and Sunday mornings from 5 - 7. I also hosted jazz programing many evenings, and occasionally subbed on other locally-produced shows.

  4. If you were given a 2 year sabatical ( oh the dream of it) to create something would it be music, literature, art.....something completely different...share your dream with us...
    Would you believe .... All of the above? I've become a great believer in "following my muse". Right now, my muse seems to be more related to music than art or writing. A month from now, it might be focused on photography (which I consider an art form). Let the spirit lead!

  5. Describe a talent you would like to develop, but that seems completely beyond you.
    I am a serviceable guitarist, but there's much room for improvement. I keep hoping I can develop some serious "Finger-style" skills. The talent which seems to be beyond me is playing the piano.
Bonus question: Back to the church — what does every member ministry mean to you? Is it truly possible to encourage/ implement?
Although this is not a buzz term I've heard before, I suspect the meaning is similar to "the priesthood of all believers", the phrase sometimes used in my denomination.
   Historically, the congregation has looked to the people at the front of the church to serve multiple functions. These specially ordained people have been expected to be many things — administrator, theologian, counselor, cheer leader, etc. They are also expected to be all things to all people. So, the first hurdle to overcome is the notion that a person requires seminary training to minister. Special training may be required for parish adminstration (incidentally, only a recent addition to some seminary curricilla), or for counselling, but there's no reason lay people couldn't serve these functions.
   Next, ordained clergy must be willing to delegate and allow lay people to function with limited interference. I have often experienced a situation where a clergy person claims he or she supports lay ministry, and delegates responsibility to a person or group, then promptly reclaim control of the project. Lay people should be allowed to follow the course the Spirit leads them in, so long as it is not contrary to church teaching or polity. The ordained clergy may not always agree with the methods, or even the goals, but must allow the project to succeed or fail with limited interference. This seems to me to absolutely necessary for an effective lay ministry.
   Finally, everyone concerned must accept the reality that some in the congregation are simply uninterested in being ministers, or in being recognized as ministers. Some people come to church just to be fed, and have little interest in feeding others in any overt way. I think the reality is that these people may minister by their presence, and many minister through their financial contributions. I am mindful that Jesus appears as the person needing ministry, as well as the person serving as minister. In other words, accepting the help of others can be as much a "ministry" as offering that help.

3 comments:

Sally said...

well played- love your fame answers... as for the bonus question seems to me that you have a firm grasp on what that should be, and yes it has to do with the priesthood of all believers!
This "Next, ordained clergy must be willing to delegate and allow lay people to function with limited interference." I felt was a key point- and one which many clergy find difficult to impossible- we need to learn to let go!!!

Deb said...

Interesting thought that God has called some NOT to minister (to paraphrase your better-crafted words)... I am going to have to think on that one

great play!
deb

Terri said...

Yes. Sadly we clergy folk tend to not walk the very walk we talk. Too focused on some ultimate goal we are aiming to accomplish.

However, that said. I also have loads of experience with lay people who want to take on a ministry. Begin the process of organizing it and then fail to follow through, 'cuz they're too busy.

We all need to be more intentional about ministry as the work of God and make room for the Spirit to live through all of us.

THoughtful post. Thank you.