Thursday, October 21, 2004

Draft, Preview

First draft of untitled poem
Here is the first draft of a poem I just mailed (a day early) to Ivy. If you can read my writing, you'll get to read a variant text before Ivy sees the final product. Well, at the moment, the poem still feels unfinished. I almost think I mailed her a fragment. Might send the next part next week.

Assuming I write more.

The notebook was a gift from Elsie, sometime this past summer. The coloring is a product of my testing some ink brushes, to confirm whether the colors were still good. I also had it in mind to illustrate the idea in my head, which was moving toward this poem.

I spent some time yesterday afternoon viewing the Guild of Ghostwriters, which is an illustrated blog. Currently, the space is being filled with the work of guest bloggers, some of whom are not necessarily "plastic" artists. One of the guest works is an illustrated version of Bob Dylan's song, "Three Angels". Maybe that was my inspiration for trying to illustrate this poem.

Oh, yeah. The first line of the poem comes from the Book of Leviticus, and is referenced in this recent review of Leonard Cohen's new album Dear Heather. The snake image is something else again, which may be revealed as I climb deeper into the poem.

No comments: