Friday, April 06, 2007

Stations

Beginning Monday, I have been posting a series of works inspired by the Stations of the Cross. This is a Roman Catholic tradition, which some other liturgical churches also observe.

I had this idea last year, of conflating the Stations of the Cross with news stories. The method has been similar to Wm S. Burroughs' "cut-up technique": in other words, I slice paragraphs from the newspaper, interpolate descriptions of the Via Dolorosa, paste it all together, and then create verse from the "mash up". I think two of these have been successful experiments.

The problem is, there are 14 stations, I've only gotten as far as the fourth, and today is Good Friday. I'm not sure I have it in me to write ten more sections in one day.

We'll see. Work has already begun on Station V: Cross Laid on Simon of Cyrene.
Added Holy Saturday morning. Plan now is observe last few Stations, then one last entry tomorrow.

No comments: