Monday, July 12, 2004

More About the Sweat

I have been sporatically posting entries about my trip to Watonga, OK, two weeks ago to be part of a Vacation Bible School. Previous entries are posted here and here. In re-reading the latter entry, which discusses my experience in an Indian Sweat Lodge, I've remembered some details.

The first round, as I say was intense. To be surrounded by the multiple languages seemed to be a small taste of what Pentecost might have been like.

The experience of time can be affected by so many externals. If you're anxious, time seems to drag to a crawl. If you're enjoying yourself, time seems to go very quickly. The first round seemed to go on forever. The third round, when I chanted with our hosts, seemed to go very quickly. The fourth round, which got extremely hot with the addition of thirty stones, seemed endless. This contrast gave me a sense of the meaning of "kairos", or (roughly) "timeless time".

I mention, in passing the traditional way the Native Americans have of voicing approval. Well, I assume it's traditional. In any case, they make a "hmmm" noise which is like a yummy sound; and they say "Wha-hey" with approving enthusiasm.

You may wonder whether I had any visions in the sweat. Nothing life changing. During the final round, I did see patches of earth-toned colors.

No comments: