Thursday, July 08, 2004

Watonga I: Wednesday

To begin with: I arrived at St. Paul's a little after 3 Wednesday, June 23rd. We had been told we were to meet in the south parking lot, so I waited there for a bit. Then, I noticed people going into the building and figured I might as well check it out. As soon as I entered, Anne K— (organizer) came over to me and told me that Mary R— was sick and probably would not be coming. Mary had been in charge of leading the music, and had recommended me to fill in. I was both honored and more than a little nervous.

We waited. And waited. And waited some more. Anne wanted to be sure everyone was present & accounted for, and that all our youth counselors had rides. Robert was my passenger. He's a troubled kid, but his conversation helped keep me awake driving both ways.

I'd like to take a minute to talk about Robert. He's obscenely overweight; a poster-child for youth on-set diabetes or coronary arrest. He made clear early on that he didn't care for the normal "kid stuff", so I asked him what he did enjoy. Turns out he's a computer gamer. Which makes sense. He's up late at night, playing against people in Signapore, minimal physical activity, lots of junk food ... well, I could see the effect. I don't have a large car, and he was rolling over the seat. Close to the shift.

Robert has been part of the Watonga VBS mission trip for three years. So, I thought it would help me to ask him about the sweat. Yes, he had done it. The second year he did it, he had a vision of several important women in his life. Out of this grew a discussion about Robert's theology.

He claimed to be agnostic, but it turned out that he believed in God; he just thought that God was a sick SOB who didn't give "a rat's ass" about humanity. There is where some old listening skills came in handy. I didn't challenge him, or correct his use of the word "agnostic". Instead, I noted that he sounded angry. As it turned out, he was angry with God, primarily associated with a number of deaths early in his life, but also connected with his parents divorce (when he was 4 or so). He didn't mention it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't blame God for his physical condition as well.

In retrospect, I compare our stories. I was born with a facial disfigurement. I was the object of taunts through Jr High. I never knew my fraternal grandfather, and my maternal grandfather died when I was 3 or 4. I certainly have as much right to be angry at God as Robert. I called myself an atheist for a period, based on what I considered sound philosophical and logical principles. And perhaps I was angry with God for a time — but it didn't last long. What makes us different?
Watonga is about 107 miles, or 1.5 hours, NW from OKC. We drove west on I-40, then north on Hwy 81. The highway was especially scenic, if seemingly endless. I had already arranged to sleep on the mission's property with Kent and his son, so I went there after I dropped Robert off at his motel.

It was good to be with Kent and Jackson. Both are healthy, mature individuals. We pitched our tents and set up camp in fairly short order, then built a fire. There are some street lights on the property, which illuminate things fairly well. Just as I was practicing the music (for the first time), Kent turned off the lights so we could better enjoy the fire. Well, best laid plans.

I slept fitfully. The main distraction was traffic noise - our campsite was several yards from main street, which is also Hwy 33. Woke up early the next day, and started woodshedding the songs for our Bible School.

No comments: