Friday, September 10, 2004

Friday's Cat

Is it possible I've gone overboard with the cat pictures? Dr. Omed has suggested my fidelty in this matter reflects some sort of psychological displacement. Brother Dave has suggested that continuing in this manner may lead to an overdose.

Sam, who has four felines (or more) of her own, understands. In today's picture, Dame Julian appears to be ready for her close up.

DJ does a Dylan impression

It's odd how bound I have become to this little creature. I've resisted adopting an animal companion for some time, mainly out of concern that I might not be able to care for it properly. Additionally, I'm in & out so often, an animal might get lonely. This last may be more true of dogs than cats, but cats do get lonely as well. At the very least, cats get bored, and will create all sorts of damage in their boredom.

I can now admit it: I had an anxiety attack as I was taking DJ home, back on July 2.

I'm going out of town next week, and am leaving DJ with a co-worker. I'm not currently having an anxiety attack, but I do know that I will miss her.

I have no idea what I am to her. Oddly, she does prefer to be in the same general area that I am. That is, if I'm in the kitchen, that's where she will go; if eating in the dining room, she'll go there. And so on. I was under the impression that cats were not very social animals. According to Desmond Morris (Catwatching), cats perceive humans to be big cats - a little inept about food gathering, but cats nonetheless.

Often, I have the impression that I'm just a piece of big warm furniture. I've lost count of the number of times my chest was the perfect location for a bath.

I've read that the Desert Fathers kept cats as pets. For one thing, they would need good mousers as they were living in caves. For another, they inherited the Egyptian notion that cats were especially spiritual. But, I have come to believe that the Desert Fathers kept cats in order to help keep them humble.

It's working for me.

No comments: