Thursday, September 09, 2004

Something New from St. Leonard

It's curious. I've been singing Leonard Cohen's "Stranger Song" in ragged snatches for several days.

Just a few minutes ago, I sailed over to the Leonard Cohen Files to discover that he's recorded a new album. Dear Heather will be released toward the end of October. I want it now! I mean, it'll be worth the money for the album cover alone, not to mention hearing Leonard's cover version of "Tennessee Waltz".

While you're visiting the promotional website, be sure to check out the Photos section. The top two were taken by his daughter, Lorca; the top one is my absolute favorite.

I'll admit I was disappointed in his last studio album, Ten New Songs. The problem was not with the lyrics, which I think will stand time's test, but with the music, which suffered from a stifling sameness. All the songs on that were co-written with Sharon Robinson, a back-up singer who has been with Leonard since the early '70s, and I suspect the problem with the music was from her (she also shares a co-producer credit).

Many of the songs on Dear Heather were also co-written with Sharon. About an equal number were written by Leonard alone. Vocal arrangements are handled by number of different folk. So, I expect the new album will have more musical variety than Ten New Songs did.

Ah, something to look forward to!

“I told you when I came I was a stranger.”

No comments: