Wednesday, December 22, 2004

3rd Glorious Mystery: Gift of the Holy Spirit

There are two accounts of the early church receiving the Holy Spirit: the earliest recorded is likely to be Luke's (Acts 2:1-7) which describes the event as occuring at the Jewish festival of Pentecost, and having affected a large group of people, from all nations. John 20:21-22 describes the event as being more intimate, with the post-Resurrection Christ breathing on the Apostles.

When I pray the rosary, I tend to think of the Lucan account most often. In particular, I remember an icon which depicts the crowd with tongues of fire on their heads. I then extrapolate this image to include people in my faith community. I picture the Holy Tongue on the heads of those I like and those I don't like so well.

Then I think of the "Gifts of the Spirit" St. Paul speaks of; a precursory search found two:
  1. Here's the list from Romans 12:6-8 (NIV): Prophecy, Serving, Teaching, Encouraging, Contributing to others, Leadership, and Showing Mercy.
  2. And here's the list from 1 Corinthians 12:1, 4-11: Wisdom, Knowledge, Faith, Healing, Miraculous Powers, Prophecy, Discernment of Gifts, Speaking in tongues, and Interpretation of tongues
Finally, I consider my own gifts: singing; speaking; compassion; and mercy. Perhaps even writing (he said with a wry self-defacing grin). Seems the life-long task is to be mindful of oneself. That is, to consider my giftedness honestly and humbly. To be sensitive to the possibility of gifts being newly discovered. To the nurturing of gifts new and newly discovered. To honestly consider whether I have applied my gifts properly and appropriately.

How am I doing so far?
Along similar lines, I recommend Reverend Mother's reflection on her gift of singing.

No comments: