Tuesday, January 25, 2005

On the Vestry

I was elected to the Cathedral's Vestry this past Sunday.

That's a statement that might require a bit of explanation for a non-Episcopalian. The simplest explanation is to say the vestry is equivalent to the church board. It might also be equivalent to a city or town council.

In other words, a highly political operation. This group of twelve, plus clergy, primarily discuss financial matters.

My running joke has been that when you want someone to leave the church, you put them on the vestry.

I have more than a passing acquaintance with church politics, having served for nine years on the vestry of a mission church in south OKC. I also served two terms (six years) on the Diocesan Council (sort of a vestry for the church in the whole state). I had a pretty good idea what I was getting myself in for.

Ninety minutes to two hours of cussing and discussing. The subversion of Robert's Rules of Order. People swallowing great honking whales, yet straining at gnats.

Org.

In fact, the last time I served on a vestry was so painful, I did in fact leave the church because of it.

This happened at that mission church in south OKC. I had served on vestry there for some time. I had been active in the church for well over a decade. I’d been faithful in attendance, was a member of the choir, and had edited the church newsletter.

The mission had come perilously close to having to close its doors, and I perceived myself to be one of the handful whose effort helped keep the doors open.

Mary Ellen and I married in that church. I feel it safe to say I was well known and well-liked by most.

The church called Fr Paul a year or so before Mary & I got married. After he had been there a couple of years, he asked for deacon. The bishop assigned Bill S to our church. Fr Paul asked Bill S to work with Mary on the music program.

Now, a little explanation of church polity may be in order. As you might expect, the priest is charge of all matters related to the worship service, including music and music selection. Often – especially in mission churches – the priest delegates that responsibility to the organist and/or choir master. Mary was the organist and choir master at this church.

The problem was, many in the congregation wanted to hear “the old standards”, and Mary wanted to mix the old with the new. And, as I learned, Mary was not a master of compromise.

So, Fr Paul has delegated the responsibility for the music to Deacon Bill with the understanding that the deacon will work with Mary toward a compromise. Problem was, Deacon Bill wasn’t much for compromise either. He believed in issuing orders.

The two of them got in a shouting match in the choir loft, and I was the sole witness. Deacon Bill was literally in Mary’s face. And raised his hand to her.

I thought this was unacceptable. I reported the incident to Fr Paul, who seemed inclined to sweep it under the rug. I then went to the vestry.

Deacon Bill was at the vestry meeting, and denied that anything of the sort had happened. And the vestry supported him.

They believed the guy with the dog collar, who had been there two to three months, over the guy wearing a normal shirt, who had been there 10 to 15 years.

I felt I had little choice but to resign from the vestry. Mary turned in her resignation as organist/choirmaster at the same time. Few would blame me if I never ran for vestry again in my life.

So, why in the world would I accept a nomination now?

It has to do with the call to the ministry. In visiting with the Dean of the Cathedral, he has made clear that service on the vestry was almost required to be considered. My understanding is that this would give the leaders of the Cathedral a chance to see my skills, and so on.

So, here I am. The situation, thankfully, is different. I am the relative new-comer, having been at the Cathedral a little over two years. And, already I’m prepared to keep my head down and my mouth shut.

Wish me luck. I need it.

No comments: