Friday, May 12, 2006

World View

Through Dick Jones, I found this quiz which proports to discern one's world view. I took it this morning, and scored as a "cultural creative"; I just re-took it, and scored as an Idealist. Which the quiz defines as
Idealism centers around the belief that we are moving towards something greater. An odd mix of evolutionist and spiritualist, you see the divine within ourselves, waiting to emerge over time. Many religious traditions express how the divine spirit lost its identity, thus creating our world of turmoil, but in time it will find itself and all things will again become one.
I don't recall the exact definition of "Cultural Creative", but it was to the effect that I took the best from all systems. Best as I define it, or discern it, of course.

Can we mix and match without polluting one side or the other? I know I am only relatively unorthodox in seeking sources of truth and inspiration outside of Christian tradition. I have such wise and spiritual examples as Thomas Merton and Bede Griffiths ahead of me. One thing I'm sensing is that observance of a tradition actually gives one greater freedom for exploration. Following his conversion, Merton spent most of his life as a recluse at Gethesmanie Abbey in Tennessee. Yet, it was from this radically conservative tradition that he sought out commonality with Zen.

Bede Griffiths, interestingly enough, was a friend of C.S. Lewis. Lewis, at the time an agnostic, was one of Griffiths' professors at Oxford. Griffiths was also either atheist or agnostic. They became friends. They had conversion experiences within a year of each other, though there's no hint that one influenced the other.

C.S. Lewis was one of the chief Christian apologists of the 20th Century. You can hardly imagine a more "orthodox" mind. Yet, even he recognized that inklings of truth might be found in world religions. Bede Griffiths even more so, for he founded a Christian ashram in southern India. So, I argue the tradition gave these people a safety net to explore and experiment.

That seems to be where I'm at, right now. The ritual and tradition of the Episcopal Church is my safety net, as I test the teachings of other traditions, and as I test where the spirit might be leading me.

No comments: