Sunday, July 02, 2006

I'm Spidey, Too

You are Spider-Man

























Spider-Man 70%
Batman 65%
Green Lantern 60%
Catwoman 60%
Superman 55%
Iron Man 45%
The Flash 45%
Hulk 45%
Robin 44%
Supergirl 40%
Wonder Woman 35%
You are intelligent, witty, a bit geeky and have great power and responsibility.


Click here to take the Superhero Personality Test


My favorite Spidey Girl made me aware of this test. It's interesting we both rated as "Spidey". I guess I should be a little worried that I scored as 60% Catwoman, but I believe in the androgyny of the soul.

Interesting story about Supergirl. After the success of Richard Donner's Superman, the same company released a film of Supergirl (1984). The main thing that impressed me about the trailers was the title character's bosom. Still, I chose to watch it when I came on cable (which I subscribed to at the time).

I soon discovered that appreciating a woman's clothed chest has limited appeal. Certainly not enough to hold my interest for a little over two hours.

I had coincidentally just finished reading Robert Johnson's book She, a study of a woman's journey based on the myth of Amor and Psyche. It's not a great book, but it's good (also short - about 70 pages). Once I got bored with the lead actress' bosom (her name is Helen Slater), I started comparing the narrative to Johnson's book.

Sure enough, the movie could be interpreted through the same lens. Male figure (played by Peter O'Toole) gives her guidance. Older woman (played by Faye Dunaway) seems like a villain, but actually helps the heroine discover her power.

Faye Dunaway and Brenda Vaccaro both seem to have a great deal of fun chewing the scenery. I vaguely recall a scene in which they conjure some huge electrical monster that bears an uncanny resemblance to the unrestrained Id in the pseudo-Freudian classic Forbidden Planet.

I haven't seen the movie Supergirl since then. I don't know if it would still scan so mythically.

No comments: