Thursday, August 03, 2006

Meg's Music Quiz

Courtesy Meg Fowler, one of my many on-line crushes
  1. How many hours in a day are you either directly or indirectly listening to music?
    My mind has a near constant sound-track. A word or phrase will remind me of a song, and I'm off. I'm currently preparing for a perforance (this Saturday), and rehearsal includes singing a capella from the time I get out of bed to the time I sit down to breakfast. That's right, I sing in the shower.
       In the car, I'm either listening to NPR news, one of the classical stations, or my iPod (per below).
       I occasionally listen to music while in my cave (study) at home. It serves as background when I'm typing or manipulating images. As a rule, I don't listen to music with recognizable lyrics while writing because it's too distracting.

  2. How often are you in charge of said music?
    99.99% of the time.

  3. Do you need music as a part of your day?
    Yes.

  4. What band and/or solo artist have you been a fan of for the longest period of time?
    A tough question. I've been a fan of Nat King Cole and Johnny Mathis since childhood, through my parents' influence. But I don't have a single one of their albums in my considerable collection.
       Restricting myself to albums I actually own, I'd say the Beatles. I still have the 45 (single) Lady Madonna, which is the first Beatles purchase I ever made.

  5. What three albums could you not do without?
    • Common One, Van Morrison
    • Field Commander Cohen, Leonard Cohen
    • Goldberg Variations (original & re-recorded), Glenn Gould
    Note the response would be different next week, if not tomorrow.

  6. What's the last concert you went to?
    Marcia Ball, with Alexandria, early this year, at the Sooner Theater in Norman, OK.

  7. Name two songs your friends/family associate with you?
    Friends (i.e., Dr. Omed): "How Can I Keep From Singing", "Sisters of Mercy"

    Family (i.e., Brother Dave): "St James' Infirmary", "Little Old Brush Arbor." The latter is a song written by our paternal grandfather.

    I'm curious what they would actually respond, and each one is invited to agree or disagree in the comments.

  8. It's Karaoke Night. Let's say you're the karaoke type. What do you sing?
    I've actually done karaoke — I sang "Born to Run".
       I'm performing this Saturday: Born to Run, Little Old Brush Arbor, Nights in White Satin, and I Stand at Every Door. That last song is a Japanese poem set to music by Pete Seeger. It is related to the bombing of Hiroshima — this Saturday is the anniversary.
       First verse: "I come and stand at every door / but none can hear my silent tread / I knock and yet remain unseen / For I am dead, for I am dead" (sung to the tune of "The Great Silkie").

  9. If you could sing/play an instrument like anyone else on earth, who would it be?
    Well, of course I do play a few musical instruments — primarily guitar and harmonica. But the world is full of folk who play either better than me.
       Wish I could play guitar like a mix of Eric Clapton, John Fahey, and Ed Gerhard. I'm blocking on names of harmonica players (other than Dylan), but there are a number of blues harpists I wish I could play like.
       I'm pretty happy with my singing, though I'm aware there's always room for improvement. I currently have some sinus drainage, which is squeezing my upper range, and I'd prefer to be past that.

  10. What musical format do you use most often (CDs, mp3s, vinyl, 8-tracks, live instruments, squeezed cats…)
    Either iPod or CD. For musical instruments, see above. DJ's meow is very musical, and there's no need to squeeze her to hear it.

  11. Do you own an iPod or mp3 player of some sort?
    Yes. Paid for with income tax refund.

  12. Do you listen to music when you exercise?
    What is this thing you call exercise? You may recall I listened to my iPod while distributing campaign literature.

  13. And finally… dedicate a song to MegFowler.com!
    John Sebastian, "She's a Lady"

No comments: