Monday, October 02, 2006

Meeting Emily

I met a fellow RevGal blogger this past Saturday. The occasion was a diocesan educational conference titled “A Call to Formation”, held at the Cathedral. I was there as the facilitator of two of the learning opportunities, and Emily was there as a participant.

Emily is the interim pastor of a local church, and writes the web-log Hazelnut Reflections. The primary image I've seen associated with Emily is a Yahoo avatar in the top portion of the right-hand column of her blog. There is a surprising resemblance, even though there are remarkably few avatars to choose from (last time I checked, there weren't any blonde males).

Another priest was visiting with Emily when I spotted her, so I waited at the periphery of the conversation. When he left, I stepped up, introduced myself, and said, "I read your blog."

She mentioned that she thought I looked familiar. There's a couple of places (aside from this blog) that she may have seen my picture. We had a pleasant, if brief, chat.

The conference was broken into three 45 minute blocks, with four or five learning opportunities in each block. I facilitated two learning ops in the last two blocks, following lunch: Using Secular Media in Adult Formation and Asset Mapping. I'll have a bit more to say about that first class in a later entry.

Emily had signed up for the Secular Media op, and contributed to the conversation. In preparing for this class, I had focused on movies, tv, and books. When I learned that Emily had registered for the conference, I remembered the internet. In addition to her blog, Emily was also involved in the Ordinary Time project, and wrote several meditations for that collection of devotionals (available on-line and as a paperback book).

Immediately proceeding the class, I asked Emily's permission to talk briefly about Ordinary Time and her blog as examples of how the internet might be used. She graciously granted that permission.

Later in the day, she said it was nice to meet a fellow blogger, and I replied that it at least gave us something to write about.

No comments: