Friday, November 10, 2006

Friday Five: What's Red and Blue and Purple All Over?

As suggested by Reverend Mother.

Those of us who are in the United States have just been throught quite a topsy-turvy election. During the campaign we heard a fair amount about red states and blue states, when in fact most of us live in some shade of purple. And so... a lighter look at those confounding colors:
  1. Favorite red food
    Strawberries

  2. Tell us about the bluest body of water you've ever seen in person.
    I rode a sail boat on one of the Great Lakes, and destroyed my dress shoes in the Atlantic Ocean. I was drunk when I did the former, it was a stormy day, and overcast.
       Our group went to the Atlantic Ocean after dark, so it was hard to tell how blue it was. Any number of swimming pools have been strikingly blue, but I've never thought they really counted.

  3. It's movie rental time: Blue Planet, The Color Purple, or Crimson Tide ?
    Of these three, the only one I have previously seen is The Color Purple. Blue Planet sounds nice, but watching an IMAX movie on my home tv seems sacreligious. If I had a chance to watch it on an IMAX screen, I definitely would.
       That said, I'd rent Crimson Tide. Notice that it stars Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington. Gene always turns in a credible performance. And, judging by the year of release, this was when Denzel acted rather than coasted.
       Speaking of movie night, Curious George awaits this weekend. And Babette's Feast.

  4. What has you seeing red these days?
    The political situation had me seeing red, until Tuesday. Now, I am cautiously optimistic.
       Off the top of my head, then, I'd have to say rude drivers.

  5. What or who picks you up when you're feeling blue ? I have a passel of "feel-good" movies (e.g., Amelie) I can watch when I'm feeling blue. I also enjoy listening to classic blues, such as Bessie Smith or Billie Holiday.

No comments: