Thursday, November 09, 2006

Performance Tonight

The social event of the week occurs tonight, when my friend Ben and I perform at the Red Cup (8:00 p.m.). The Red Cup, as noted below, is in OKC, OK, near the SE corner of NW 31st and Classen. Parking is limited, so you may want to arrive early.

Ben plays electric piano and harmonica, and sings. I play guitar and harmonica, and sing. We take turns playing harmonica. For most songs, we harmonize; for a handful of others, one us is the back-up for the other one.

Our set list includes: a medley of classic I-IV-V songs ("Why Do Fools Fall in Love", "Blue Moon", "Unchained Melody", and a Chad & Jeremy song whose title I can't remember; "Devoted to You"; "Immigrant" by John McCutcheon; "A Song for You"; and "Turn, Turn, Turn". The final song is another medley - "Day in the Life" and "Nights in White Satin".

Not many people have the chutzpa to attempt "Day in the Life" with only two instruments, but we're going to give it a shot.
I had an anxiety dream early this morning. I was scheduled to perform with a former girlfriend (who isn't a musician in RL). The auditorium abutted some classrooms. I was either in class, or visiting with people in the classroom. Suddenly, I realized I was late for the performance.

I quickly ran to the auditorium, with my guitar slung over my shoulder in classic Johnny Cash style. There was no one on stage; apparantly, I had missed the whole first set. I quietly dashed up a side aisle, and went back stage.

What I can remember of the backstage area is interesting. The stair cases and hallways were very narrow; I had to walk sideways and hold my guitar in front of me to fit through. I was seeking Elsie, but she was no where to be found.

The stage manager tracked me down, and said I was past due for the second set, and shoved me toward the stage. I scanned the audience for Elsie, but couldn't find her. I had to do the second set on my own.

That's when I startled awake. It was 3:30.
The Red Cup is nothing like the auditorium in my dream. Ben and I are planning to be there at least 30 minutes prior to performance.

Hope you can make it, too.

No comments: