Friday, March 23, 2007

Friday Five: Rivers in the Desert

This week's theme is suggested by Songbird, who writes:
As we near the end of the long journey toward Easter, a busy time for pastors and layfolk alike, I ponder the words of Isaiah and the relief and refreshment of a river in the desert.

For this Friday Five, name five practices, activities, people or _____ (feel free to fill in something I may be forgetting) that for you are rivers in the desert.
  1. Music. I've programmed a pair of play lists on my iPod, Ambient and Ambient – Night. Each consists primarily of music without lyrics, so I can listen while I work. To date, my employer has not complained, and I'm very grateful I have the choice to listen to music through the day.
       In any list of things I could not live without, music would be number one. It is the foundation of my spirituality.
       There are times, primarily when I've tranquilized my ego, when singing really does become a form of prayer. "The who sings, prays twice," to paraphrase St. Augustine.

  2. My feline companion. There's no comfort quite like her small warm furry body curled up on my lap. The rumble of her purr soothes me, and is somehow reassuring.

  3. A good book. A weekend afternoon spent sitting in my recliner with a book (I'm currently reading Gary Wills' What Paul Meant) is time well spent.

  4. I wonder about "relief and refreshment". Some activities are relaxing, but are the spiritual equivalent of empty calories. I am thinking, of course, of TV. TV can give my mind a break, and is often a relief. But does it refresh, as Living Waters? Does it make my soul sing?
       Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Seems to me, much depends on the mindfulness I bring to it. Most art has a spiritual message - even drek like Two and a Half Men. It may not be a positive message, mind you, but it can be found.
       And discerning that message can be a fun game to play. Or, it can be a bit of work.
       So: TV is relaxing, and can offer temporary relief. Proper selection programming, or proper attitude, increases the possibility of refreshment.

  5. Now and again, I can sit quietly and reflect on my breath. This happens most often Sunday mornings at church, as I empty myself prior to the service. The process is pure gift.

7 comments:

j said...

As ever, Jonah, your posting give a great perspective, and I so appreciate it.

Unknown said...

Is it really quiet enough in your church for that sort of reflection? Lovely.

Terri said...

Music, indeed.

For Lent I have started a new practice at small church. Lights left low, soft music playing, lots of candles lit. Clergy enter about 15 minutes before the service and sit in the pews, in silent prayer. We continue until about 5 minutes after the hour to invite even late comers into silence and prayer...Signs around the building invite the congregation to come into the space and pray, or speak quietly in the hall outside. AND people are actually doing it. It's been wonderful.

Thanks for sharing.

Sally said...

I love the tohught of emptying yourself before the morning service, we maintain a silence at the begining but it is usually forced- thanks for this.

Lori said...

Lovely list. I like your rivers.

Anonymous said...

Yes, life without music would be truly miserable. And good books rank right up there with music. Well played.

Scott said...

Amen to music and silence. I'm trying to encourage the practice of silence in our congregation, with little headway. We're just not there yet - but I'm hoping it will come to that eventually.