Friday, October 17, 2003

Fragments for Breakfast

words just fall from my lips
but won't come to my fingers

i'm sitting in the dark hours of pre-dawn
blessed by a street lamp's halo

too early to be afraid
too late to turn back

words just fall
leaves fly up like dust devils

don't trust my words
they're too weary

leaves fly up in memory
her hair falls down in your face

her voice rises up
as she lies beside you

time ticks slowly by
disconnected couplets
fragments for breakfast

I’m thinking in couplets
but dreaming in triplets

everything that was left out
something overheard

beneath inconstant clouds
that dart across the sky

rain clouds go south
thin white clouds go north

I’m dreaming drawings on the sand
I’m dreaming of a song

or the memory of a song
my fingers remember her hair

time ticks slowly by
disconnected couplets
fragments for breakfast

No comments: