Monday, March 29, 2004

Farewell To My Hat

I lost my hat a week ago Sunday. To your right, you see a pair of machine-photographs of my hat & I, early in our career.

We first met in Wacker's, a general clothing store just off Main Street in Norman. This would have been my Sophomore or Junior year at OU. Wacker's carried mostly western-style clothing, so I was surprised to find this snap-brim cap there.

This style of cap is sometimes called a poor-boy's cap, or newsboy's cap. Quentin Tarrantino, and others, have made it famous by wearing it backwards. As you can see in these pictures, it was love at first sight. My hat and I were made for each other.

This cap became an essential part of my personae through college and beyond. Through the years, it developed a stain near the snap, where I would nervously nudge the brim to pull it down. I don't remember when the band lost its firmness – maybe ten years ago. Lark would tease me about it, and eventually bought me a new snap-brim cap from Land's End.

But this cap was still my favorite. It saw me through my college career, when I majored in mind-altering substances. It rode the bus to Princeton, NJ with me. It was my companion when I worked at the Infernal Bookstore.  It did not desert me during my marriage, even after my wife went to Korea. It joined Lark & I, as we sang at the Art's Fair, and other venues. This cap has been with me for over two decades, and it's hard to say how sad I am in losing it.

Lost it in a rather silly fashion. Went to dinner at church a week ago Sunday, and balanced my cap on my knee. No doubt, sometime during the meal, I re-crossed my legs and it fell to the floor.  Or, it fell as I got up to leave. In any case, it fell. I didn't realize it was missing 'til I got home.

Yes, I called the church office to learn whether it had been returned. It had not.

So, farewell, old friend. May you bring someone new pleasant memories!

No comments: