Friday, March 31, 2006

Friday Five: As dad used to say

Songbird's assignment this week is to "Name five things you used to hear your mother or father (or even a grandparent) say, especially things you might be surprised to hear coming out of your own mouth." What immediately comes to mind are tones of voice, or world views. With that in mind, here's my list:
  1. Direct quote from Padre: "It's like my dad always used to say – 'If it doesn't work the first time, get a bigger hammer'."
  2. I remember mom as having a problem with her temper and being insecure. I recognize that I have similar problems.
  3. Very rarely, I'll hear a hint of mom's vocal tone when I say something — especially something judgmental.
  4. Now and again, when I'm singing, I'll hear an echo of Padre's voice in my own. I consider this a great gift.
  5. Padre was a man of reason. He could become frustrated with those who did not act in a reasonable manner. More so with political figures than with his sons. I also tend to "live in my head", and struggle with accepting reality as it is rather than wanting reality to match my concept of "reason".

No comments: