Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Bearing The Cross

Jesus told his disciples: "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me" (Mk 16:24, NRSV).   In order to take up our cross, we must bear the cross.   Our Lenten discipline this year challenges us to examine our lives and discern whether we merely wear the cross, or truly bear the cross.

Being Jesus' disciple has a cost. Bearing the cross may bring us into conflict with our own ego needs.   Bearing the cross may bring us into conflict with modern notions of comfort.   Bearing the cross may bring us into conflict with the morals and values of our social set.

The cross is a powerful symbol for our Lenten journey. At one level, it reflects the painful choices we must make. At another level, it may represent how we stand at a crossroad whenever we chose between our pilgrim life and the demands of the world.

It is at this crossroad that we examine how we proportion our time, talent, and treasure.   A healthy human life seeks a balanced and proper proportion between work, leisure, and spirit.   Only you (and God) know how well-balanced your life is!

I would not be so bold as to suggest daily minimum requirements. If there were such a thing, it would likely be our whole life. "What does the LORD require of you," asks the prophet Micah, "But to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" (Micah 6:8, NASB)

True humility would lead us to recognize the One who created us, created this world and all that sustains it, and whose Spirit grants us fullness of life. Owing so much, how can we hold back any part?

That is my challenge this Lent: will I bear the cross, even as I wear it? Will I take an honest and rigorous inventory of how I spend my time, talent, and treasure? Am I willing to make the sacrifices true proportional giving might require?

1 comment:

Sally said...

Good challenge, I wear a cross everyday, I will try to bear your questions and thoughts in mind as I look in the mirror to put it on each morning.