Friday, February 09, 2007

Friday Five: American Idols

Theme suggested by Songbird.

Songbird admits she has been watching the latest season of American Idol. I haven't been able to watch more than 15 minutes worth. It is symbolic of the worst of American culture (appealing to the lowest common denominator), the worst of the pop music industry (playing it safe with the same old mid-stream pablum), and the worst popular vocal styling (melisma). With that caveat, here's the game:
  1. If I could sing like anyone, it would be myself.
    Now that I've recovered from the worst of my cold, I'm so pleased that I can sing again. I know there's plenty of folk who can sing technically better than me. I know there's some who are more soulful, or whatever, but this morning as I type this, I like how I sing. I like how people respond to my singing voice. It's a gift, and I'm glad to share it.

  2. I would love to sing the song "The Guests," by Leonard Cohen.
    I start singing practically from the time I wake up. Some songs become "ear worms" and follow me throught the day.
        Other times, I'm woodshedding a song for performance - which means memorizing the lyrics (primarily) and playing with the melody.
       "The Guests" is a song I come back to frequently. I've already memorized the lyrics, which are profoundly beautiful:
    One by one the guests arrive
    The guests are coming through
    The open-hearted many
    The broken-hearted few.
    And no one knows where the night is going
    No one knows why the wine is flowing
    Oh, love, I need you, I need you, I need you
    Oh ... I need you now
    . . . .
    All go stumbling through that house
    In the utmost urgency
    Saying, "Please reveal yourself"
    Or, "Why hast thou forsaken me?"
       It took me a couple of years of living with this song to realize it could be about our lives. God is the host who cries, "Welcome, welcome, let all my guests come in" as we wander through God's house mystified by the torches flaring.

  3. It would be really cool to sing at Carnegie Hall.
    Why not aim high? You thought maybe I would say "My shower"?
       I have sung on stage many times. It's typically an enjoyable experience, although I rarely know how to respond to people praising my performance (beyond saying thank you).

  4. If I could sing a dream duet it would be with Natalie Merchant.
    Which was about the fourth name that came to mind. Interesting that all the names that came to mind were female – Streisand, Sheryl Crow, Joan Baez. Why Natalie? She's the one I have the biggest crush on. And she writes some amazing songs.
       I do miss Sarah, the singing partner I had several years ago. She was a class act. She was much more knowledgable about music theory than me, but she was gentle in directing me. She was a trained vocalist, but didn't disdain the pleasure of "folk" music. Our voices blended perfectly.

  5. If I could sing on a TV or radio show, it would be The Tonight Show.
    Although I would prefer to have appeared with Johnny Carson than on the Jay Leno iteration. I'm not a fan of Leno.
       However, if I were to give full reign to my fantasy, my dream would be to be a guest host - ala John Denver. Experience in leading group discussions suggests I would do well as a talk show host (if my face were TV-worthy).
      I actually did serve as a guest host on a local cable-access show, so I have some minimal experience.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, if you can carry off a Leonard Cohen song, I would love to hear you sing!

Sally said...

echoing Songbird- me too- great play, glad you have your voice back!

Iris said...

Natalie Merchant is one of my all time favorites! She writes terrific songs and doesn't seem to take the whole being famous thing too seriously.

j said...

great, great play! thanks for singing along!

more cows than people said...

yes, great play! don't know that cohen song... heading to itunes...

Unknown said...

Sing on, Hope you make it to the Tonight Show you would be a great guest.