Monday, August 25, 2003

Of Icons

In the post below, I refer to Granny D as an icon. In my entry on True Christianity, I refer to myself as an icon of the divine for my faithful atheist friend. In his comments on my post, my friend wonders if I'm suffering from caffeine-induced delusions of grandeur.

We normally think of Icons as static works of holy art, originating from the Orthodox Christian tradition. But human beings may be icons as well.

What is the function of an icon? In a way, it is a window through which one may perceive the divine. Just as one would not mistake a window for a tree viewed through that window, so one is wise not to confuse the icon for the divine itself.

Almost every Sunday, I pray that I may see Jesus in everyone I meet, and that I may be an icon of Jesus to everyone I meet. By which I mean to ask that I may be a living breathing sign of the reality of God-enfleshed. This I understand to be a prayerful invocation of the social gospel Jesus preaches at Matthew 25: 31-40. In this story, Christ makes clear that we serve him by helping the poorest in society. I would even go further, by suggesting that I am Christ when I allow others to serve me. Christ is in the server & the servant. As the popular "renewal" song has it, "I pray to have the grace to let you be my servant too."

I'm not Christ returned, by any means. I have chosen a path, and tried to walk it with integrity (another way of saying I've tried to walk my talk).

Like most folk, I merely fumble along doing the best I can to be the person I am called to be — that image of God unique to the heart of me. I take it for granted that each person on earth has their own unique path to walk. I don't think you have to agree with my beliefs in order for you to be "saved."

Aside: I've always wanted a bumper sticker that says "Jesus saves at First National Bank!"

My dear friend Dr. Omed defines himself as an atheist. He is, as others have said, the most evangelistic atheist you could hope to meet. But he and I have come to an equitable agreement: if it pleases me to think he believes in the divine, he won't argue overly much. As it stands, as I say in a comment to one of his posts, "Not terribly worried about the state of your soul. Expect to greet [you] at the periphery of the celestial rose."

If Dr. Omed sees me as a "true xtian", then it suggests to me that he perceives me as someone who is more successful at walking the talk than some (e.g., Judge Roy Moore of AL, Jerry Falwell, et al). Since I interpret the word "xtian" to mean one who is Christ like (an appropriate translation of the word), then if the good doctor says I am a "true xtian", then I am Christ-like and therefore am an icon of Christ for him.

Now, I don't claim any of this for myself. The fact that I am both flattered and slightly troubled by the designation suggests I have a long way to go to be fully Christ like. So, you guys can put away the boards & the nails.

Meantime, Granny D is preaching a social gospel not too far from the OT prophets or from Mt 25. Therefore, she is an icon of that good news for me.

So be it.

No comments: