Saturday, May 14, 2005

Circle Game #3

Circle Game #3
This is the third time I've posted an image like this. But who's counting?

I was recently reminded of this form at an art gallery. This is a practice in Zen art, where one tries to draw a simple circle as freely as possible. There is a name for this practice, but I can't remember what it is.

The idea is not the perfection of the circle, but the freedom of movement. After seeing three or four examples at the art gallery, I decided to try it in Photoshop. The challenge has been to find a way to imitate the "look" of a brush while preserving the freedom of movement. For the purpose of this exercise, it was not permitted to go over the figure several times in order to imitate the bristles of the brush.

I think I may be closing in on imitating the brush bristles. Takes a particular brush tool in Adobe and finessing some filters.

Interesting result, I think.

No comments: