Monday, May 09, 2005

Weekend Report

DJ woke me about 5:30 on Saturday morning. She actually let me sleep a little later than normal (by 15-30 minutes). Now, I know what you're thinking. You're wondering why I don't just close the door so she won't bother me in the night.

Those who have cats are probably aware that there is something about a locked door which offends the sensibility of the average feline. Closed doors, or inaccessible areas, simply do not enter into their philosophical system. DJ still strenuously objects to being shut out from the study when I ensconce myself in there to surf 'n' blog. She actually clawed a sizable hole in the carpet near the door. This is now covered by two doormats (long story there).

So: the probable consequence of my closing the door to my bedroom at night is piteous meowing and hearty excavation work. Oh, I imagine she would get used to it eventually, but I wouldn't get much sleep in the meantime. And, as proven by my experience with the study, she would still meow now and again - hoping, no doubt, to break my resolve or get new results.

Plus, if I locked her out, I would lose the warm pleasure of her company. She normally curls in the crook of my knees (I strive to sleep on my side). Normally, when she wakes me up, it's because she wants to be petted.

There are worse ways to wake up in the morning than to have warm furry reposed upon your chest, purring her way to dawn, as you gently stroke her head.

A trade off.

I had been so good last week, I decided to take myself out to breakfast. Jeff's Cafe is located around 30th and Classen, and is my spot for authentic greasy-spoon cooking. I've only eaten their breakfast, but I'm sure their other selections are equally acceptable. The price is right, and the food is palatable.

The restaurant used to be located on the corner of 23rd and Classen, and it was a classic greasy spoon, cracked naugahide seats and all. Since they've moved, they've almost gotten respectable. Well, the seats are new anyway.

Went back to the house and checked my e-mail, and generally surfed around. Hadn't rained much, so there wasn't a need to mow the lawn. My right shoulder still hurts from my last serious round of yard work, so I thought I could stand a week off.

About 8:30, I realized I could miss the crowd at the grocery store if I set right out. Pretty short shopping list - only one item different than normal: Polish Kielbasa.

That might stand a moment's explanation. Pot luck supper tonight. I have basically two home-made dishes I bring to pot lucks: chili or three-bean soup. Three bean soup requires kielbasa. Don't know why; that's just the way I've always made it. In a crock pot.

Took the groceries back home, read a little, and puttered around. Ten o'clock on the dot I went back out for more shopping. Health food store, to refill my water jug and to restock on locally made granola. Borders, to check for a translation of Chuang Tzu. Then, drive to thrift store Alexandria told me about.

This store is on the southeast corner of 23rd and Council. The name is something like Heart and Hand Thrift Shop. I gather it has some religious connection, because they have the Ten Commandments posted on one wall. They were having a sale - half-off on books, small electronics, and clothing. I bought two hard-backs - Lewis Thomas and Sharyn McCrumb- and three magazines for under five dollars.

Drove back home to dump all this stuff off and to remind DJ that I still exist.

Then, on an impulse, I drove to a local monastery - Red Plains in Piedmont, OK. Piedmont is less than 30 minutes west of my house, on the Northwest Expressway. I went primarily to have a quiet space in which to do some writing. Sometimes, even the public library has too many distractions.

As it turned out, it was a little distracting in the monastery as well; when the librarian wasn't visiting with me, she was doing house work with the tv on. But I pressed on. She gave me a really good resource on the area I've been studying, and I did get some productive verbal sketching accomplished.

I got there around 2:30, and they closed the library at 4:30. So, two hours worth of work. Back home to grab some dinner, then turn around again to attend the monthly OKC Traditional Music Association meeting.

Got there about 7:20, signed up for the open mic, and paid my yearly dues. An attractive blonde seemed to be hanging around the sign-in table. "Are you James?", she asked.

She came over and said she remembered me from Junior High School. Turns out I was a year ahead of her, and we rode the same bus.

It's rather astounding that she recognized me, considering that I was (obviously) clean-shaven back then, and had a bit more hair on my head.

She either has an excellent memory, or I made an impression on her for some reason all those years ago. Well, I was an "older" man.

You may think she was hitting on me. Honestly, I wondered at the time. My ego was really hoping she was hitting on me. Turns out, she's happily married with two children.

I performed John Lennon's "Imagine" and a song I picked up from Sing Out! magazine, "Day for Peace". Both were received very well.

The high point of the concert was when Calliope House performed. Calliope House is normally Kathi Dagg, Jacque Rapp, and two or three other people. This evening, for mother's day, the two women were joined by their children: Jacque's daughter Thea, who is pregnant, and Kathi's kids Matt and Loren. Loren played cello, and a new member of the group played fiddle. The combined strings, with two penny whistles, Kathi's bozouki, and Jacque's hammered dulcimer - oh, awesome!

Not much to report regarding Sunday. Spent much of the day recovering from Saturday (DJ and I took several naps together). I did have a very nice visit with Pam. We haven't chatted much in the last three or four months, and we agreed it was time for a catch-up dinner.

If you read the sparse comments that are posted here, you may recall that someone - who signed as "p" - commented that I would be more interesting to have dinner with than Michael Gross (whom some have said I resemble). Pam admitted that she was the one who left that comment.

When I asked about that comment, I mentioned that I might be less self-involved than Mr. Gross (due to the stereotype that all actors are self-involved). She just smiled and said, "Well...."

After all, I spend a great deal of time on this web-log, detailing in exhaustive length what I'm doing, what I'm thinking, and my opinions. What self-referential pot is calling the kettle self-involved?

The other Sunday event was my whimsical discision to cook the kielbasa on my cast iron hibachi. Remember the kielbasa, in a paragraph over half-way up? It would have been quicker to cook on the stove, but I chose to fire up some charcoal briquets and cook the kielbasa on the back stoop.

Took about an hour.

I sampled a couple of slices. Tasted pretty good. The beans have been cooking with the kielbasa since late last night, so they've picked up quite a bit of its flavor.

Yummmmm.

One last thing: Mother Nature was a big tease on Saturday. The whole day looked like the sky was going to open up with bigger buckets than Sam has experienced out in California. But narry a drop.

Just glaring clouds.

Now, clear blue sky.

No comments: