Thursday, February 23, 2006

Status Report

This is entry number 1428. Those of you with good memories will recall that I set myself the goal of having entry number 1500 appear on my blog anniversary - March 23rd. I began this web-log on that date in 2003.

It's hard to believe that I have posted 1427 entries in three years. Assuming each of those years had 365 days, that represents an average of a little less than 1.5 entries per day. March 23, 2006, is only 28 days away ("February is a son of a gun"). This means I need to post a little over 2.5 entries per day.

It's a bold goal, but one needs bold goals if one ever hopes to achieve anything worthy of note. Besides, I can always "pad" with Photoshop art, pictures of my cat, poetic fragments, and meta-self-reflective entries such as this one.

It's interesting how folk respond to this space. In Wednesday's RevGal round-up, Will Smama mentions that she is intimidated by my blog. In a friendly comment-interchange (which you will see toward the bottom of the "round-up"), she admits she is intimidated by the sheer volume of my verbiage.

Not necessarily the quality. I can understand how the sight of all those words marching down the screen would be a little intimidating.

Will Smama, may I introduce you to Meg? She is even more verbose than I am, and posts practically every day.

Talk about overwhelming....

On the other hand, Christine Hamm includes me on a long list of poets who can kick her fanny. At first, I thought the verb might be "kiss", but it is "kick".

Ms. Hamm has been posting since 2002, so she has me beat in longevity. And she has posted more poems per week than I have lately.

About her list of "poets who can kick my ass" - as a list of blogging poets, it's almost as inclusive and extensive as Ron Silliman's. Still, I'm mighty pleased to be included in such distinguished company.

Originally, I was using this space to vent my spleen toward USA, Inc. (D*ck Cheney, CEO). Then, when I rediscovered a poetic voice, I was posting reputed poems every day.

I've used this space for personal reflections, theological musings, and obsessive pictures of my feline companion.

I seem to lack the discipline to focus on one thing. Which I hope makes this an interesting place to visit. Rather than a somewhat disjointed one.

No comments: