Thursday, February 16, 2006

Wu Wei

I don't remember the exact name of this process, but the idea is to draw as good a circle free-handed as possible.

I have done a number of these, using my mouse. An instructor recently referred to this as the equivalent of drawing with a potato.

I have already filed my taxes, and received both refunds. My state refund was applied toward the purchase of a Wacom® Tablet. This tablet uses a stylus as well as a mouse. So one has as close to the actual drawing experience as possible, without the use of pen, paper, and scanner.

You may also note the curious figure in the lower-right hand corner, which looks somewhat like a capital "N". This is the Hebrew letter, Aleph, the first letter of the Jewish alphabet. I have super-imposed my traditional signature (my initials interlocked in block form) over the Aleph.

I recently bought a Hebrew alphabet stamp set (only $5 at Borders). The set came with a little booklet which describes some of the esoteric meanings Jewish mysticism (Kabbala, Zohar) has associated with the letters of the Hebrew alphabet.

Because the Aleph is the first letter of the alphabet, the booklet suggests meditating on it when beginning a new project.

Drawing and painting with this stylus is a new project for me - so I honor it with the Aleph.

No comments: