Saturday, April 12, 2003

I enjoy mowing the lawn. I enjoy being able to see, concretely, what I have accomplished. Must suit my compulsive nature. For the same reason, I enjoy web design. Key in some code, mix in a little CSS, and presto — pretty colors! dynamic layout! and so on.

When I mowed the lawn in Norman, it became a form of walking prayer. Not as much lawn here, so no prayer came today. But it was rewarding comparing the stretch I had mowed against the bit not yet mowed. I remember a line I wrote about the death of my father was inspired by mowing the lawn. The line was "How far have I walked to reach these fields of green?" The hidden irony was that I had been walking in circles for about an hour and a half by the time that line spoke to me.

Friend Pat has an alternate blog at Alter Angel's Spiritual Journal. She is keeping a journal as she walks with Ignatius through the Spiritual Exercises. Blog city is a pretty interesting interface; it offers a built-in ability to comment. The paid service is pretty inexpensive.

Don't know if Pat has read the entry I wrote this morning or not. Doubt she'll agree. I offer the link to her journal as an alternative. If you want to go beyond that, you'll have to check in on Dr. Omed & his tent show.

No comments: